[gui-talk] Shopping on Amazon.com Has Become a Nightmare

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Thu Nov 27 16:04:01 UTC 2014

Happy Thanksgiving, all!  Gobble, gobble, gobble.  It would be a lot happier if I didn't just experience the most frustrating Amazon.com shopping experience I have ever experienced.  Using Firefox 29 with JAWS, I visited the allegedly "accessible" Amazon.com site, and proceeded to shop .  I successfully added 3 items to my shopping cart and clicked on the proceed to check out button.  On the resulting select shipping address page,I selected my current displayed address, which advanced me to the select shipping option page.  Here's where things got dicey.  On the resulting page, you are supposed to select your shipping option.  The last time I shopped on Amazon.com, there were radio buttons to select the desired shipping option, which for most of us would be free shipping.  But now, there were no radio buttons or check boxes or any other apparent means of selecting the desired shipping option, at least with JAWS.  So I switched to NVDA, and still could not determine any way to select the desired shipping option.  I relaunched JAWS and tried switching to the JAWS cursor, but still no go.  So I just navigated to the free shipping option, hit the space bar, and then, hoping for the best,  clicked on the continue button, which brought be to the select payment method page.  My credit card information was correct, so I clicked on the continue button, and to my surprise , landed on the place your order page.  I reviewed my order, and lo and behold, free shipping had somehow been selected, even though there had been no confirmation of this when I clicked on the free shipping option on the select shipping option page.  I verified my order and clicked on the place your order button, and fortunately, the thank you page came right up, confirming that my order had been placed successfully.  But when I received my email order confirmation a few minutes later, to my surprise, the order number was not listed.  I have never before received an email order confirmation from Amazon that did not contain the order number.  This is absolutely ridiculous.  It's bad enough that that the so-called "accessible" Amazon.com site isn't really very accessible , after all.  Amd now, Amazon doesn't even provide the order number in the order confirmation.  With the holiday season now in full swing, many of us will be shopping online, and for Amazon to once again tinker with its site to the detriment of its blind customers is unconscionable.  Can't anything be done to make Amazon.com more blind friendly? Right now, I am a very frustrated Amazon customer.  Thanks for any feedback.

Gerald