[gui-talk] FW: [nfbcs] Adjustment of Notification Area Icons Under Windows 7

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Nov 19 17:08:09 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbcs [mailto:nfbcs-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Mike Freeman via
nfbcs
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:09 PM
To: NFB in Computer Science Mailing List
Subject: [nfbcs] Adjustment of Notification Area Icons Under Windows 7

Greetings.

I'm running windows 7 Home Premium with JAWS 16 Professional. Up until
recently, I've been able to put "Notification" into the Start Menu search
box or put "Hide" in the search box and from the listed choices, choose
"Show or Hide Inactive Items on the Taskbar" which would then give me a very
long dialog I could tab through and choose when I wanted particular icons to
appear. Recently, however, while I still get that choice, when I hit ENTER
to go to that dialog, I just get an abbreviated dialog that just shows me in
COMPUTER with a search box, a number of split buttons including DESKTOP and
ALL CONTROL PANEL and if I right-arrow, an item that says "Notification
Icons Menu" which I can do nothing with. But I don't see that extended
dialog listing all the icons and their state (hidden, always shown or only
shown when messages about them are available).

How can I get things back to the way they were before so I can see that
dialog? Seems to me this has happened before but I don't remember how to fix
it and, of course, windows help is *no* help since everything is explained
in terms of mouse-clicks.

Any help is appreciated!

T I A.

Mike Freeman