[gui-talk] private browsing question

Blaine Clark blaineclrk at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 17:10:04 UTC 2014

Private or incognito browsing opens the browser with all settings maxed
to either block cookies or to erase cookies when the browser is shut
down. It also usually erases history when shut down.
Most of the free, open source browsers have add-ons that can be
installed that will do pretty much the same thing full time. There are
cookie blockers and eaters, history erasers, add-ons that force HTTPS
over regular HTTP when possible. HTTPS offers a big boost in online
security when it's available. There are ad blockers too, but they quite
often slow your browsing way down, sometimes to the point of freezing.
Once in a while the other add-ons can cause some odd behavior with the
browser and sometimes with programs that interact with the browsers too.
Another problem is, I can't say how accessible or inaccessible each of
those add-ons are as far as installing and setting up properly. There
are dozens, if not hundreds of them between all the different browsers!
Firefox, Google Chrome, Chromium and Opera are available to name just
the more popular free and open source browsers. For myself, I use the
developer's version of Opera which is version 24. The common Opera
release is something like version 12 I believe. I also use Linux which
alters accessibility differently than Microsoft and Mac.
I've found that by using the system hosts file you can eliminate the ad
blockers and most ads. It's a pain where a pill can't reach to edit and
keep the hosts file updated. It's not the easiest way to block ads, but
it's the most efficient way for your browser and your internet
connection. Using the hosts file cuts down on your bandwidth usage and
thereby gives you a little bit of a boost in speed as well as blocking
ads before they're even downloaded. If you're one of the ones that has
to pay for using any extra volume of bandwidth over and above a monthly
allotment, this method can save you some of that volume and a bit of
cash on your ISP bill. The ad blocker add-ons block the ads only after
they've been downloaded by just preventing your browser from displaying
them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_%28file%29>