[gui-talk] would like some help after disconnecting from cable TV

Blaine Clark blaineclrk at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 18:04:26 UTC 2014

Gerald,
Your best bet for getting your local news and weather is to go to the
sites of your area providers and find out if they offer either
accessible text on their pages and options for you such as perhaps
http://tvnz.co.nz/weather-forecast or if you have a RSS feed client
program you can get info that way too from any of the sites that provide
RSS feeds. You could also find out if there are any live streaming
options that work for you from those local sites. Flash-based streaming
is of course a near total joke, but if any of them have switched to
HTML5 or will in the near future, you may be in luck.
I've got a ROKU and that, along with the apps provide videos, TV shows
and movies, but as full accessibility goes, it can be a super pain from
what I've heard and seen. My sight is good enough I don't need screen
readers, just enlargement.
One of these days I'm going to see if I can route ROKU through my laptop
to the TV and see if there's any way to access it that way. I have my
doubts, besides, I refuse to use Microsoft, I only use Linux and I
haven't found anyone who has already tried that with Linux so I'd be
venturing into totally unknown territory.
Blaine