[gui-talk] Seeing Assistant/iOS Apps

David Goldfield happycatholic1211 at aol.com
Mon Aug 25 15:09:15 UTC 2014

I just came across this announcement. I have not worked with any of
these apps but I verified their existence on ITunes.  The GPS app is
only $3.99 and the other apps mentioned in this post are even more
inexpensive.  Here's the info from globalAccessibilityNews ...

Seeing Assistant app for people with vision disabilities
Europe Aug 25, 2014
Seeing Assistant is a group of applications designed to help people who
are blind or low vision in everyday life activities. These apps will
help you e.g. navigate through a city, recognize colors, detect light,
read barcodes and enlarge the image.
Seeing Assistant consists of a number of applications customized
for people who are blind or low vision and it is available on the iOS
platform of iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices. Our objective is to
help such people in different aspects of everyday life activities.
Seeing Assistant applications are developed by Transition Technologies S.A.
App screenshot
All Seeing Assistant modules have intuitive menu and are optimized to
work with VoiceOver screen reading software; moreover, they use voice
control function both in the scope of application service as well as in
entering text. All our applications are available on App Store.

Seeing Assistant Move is a pedestrian navigation application. It enables
its users to gain information about their present localization, to
navigate to the chosen destination, to plan the route from point A to
point B, to record one’s trace, thanks to which the user is able to go
back the same route. This module supports following languages: English,
German, Spanish, Italian, Polish and Chinese.
Seeing Assistant Home assists its users in everyday home activities
offering, among others, color recognition, light detection, magnifying
glass and recognition and generation of bar or QR codes. This module
supports following languages: English, German, Spanish, Polish and Chinese.
Seeing Assistant Light gives the visually impaired people ability to
detect the source of light. During its use, this application generates
characteristic continuous sound. The sound pitch alters according to
light intensity. The brighter the light, the higher the sound pitch
emitted. The user localizes the source of light by turning the camera
lens in the direction of the highest sound. This is a separate element
of Seeing Assistant Home functionality, incorporated in the independent
program.
Seeing Assistant Magnifier is a digital magnifying glass that
enables people who are blind or low vision to comfortably and
effectively read small print or precisely scrutinize small objects. This
application not only helps to enlarge the image but also helps to change
its brightness, contrast and colors (black and white and color
inversion). This application is able to present the image from the back
or front camera of the device. It uses LED light illumination. This is a
separate element of Seeing Assistant Home functionality, incorporated in
the independent program.
For more information, visit http://seeingassistant.tt.com.pl

Feel free to visit my new Web site
http://www.DavidGoldfield.info

Feel free to visit my LinkedIn profile
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-goldfield/12/929/573

Visit my blog
http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/davidgoldfield

         David Goldfield,
        Founder and Peer Coordinator

    Philadelphia Computer Users' Group for the Blind and Visually Impaired