[gui-talk] Reading Mail Windows8

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Tue Mar 12 11:12:26 UTC 2013

Windows 8 is turning out to be such a source of headache and aggravation for
blind computer users that many of them , including some hard-core techies ,
have decided to roll back to Windows 7.  Even some well respected tech
experts like Leo LaPort have been reluctant to recommend upgrading to
Windows 8 because of all the hassles involved.  Each new release of Windows
seems to be less blind-friendly than the previous version.  There is just so
much that Freedom Scientific and GW Micro can do to make their screen
readers compatible with an operating system that was designed primarily for
touchscreen devices.  Some analysts predict that Windows 8 could turn out to
be a bigger fiasco for MS than Vista.  Sorry I can't be of more help, but,
hey, what do I know, anyway?  I'm still happily chugging along with XP,
hoping to avoid the whole Windows 8 mess altogether.  Maybe the blindness
advocacy groups will finally conclude that enough is enough and demand that
MS take accessibility more seriously.  But I guess that's just wishful
thinking.  We can only hope that Windows 9 will be a step backward in the
right direction, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Gerald