[gui-talk] Windows8 Questions

Dave Marthouse dmarthouse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 16:24:42 UTC 2013

How do I make a shortcut for internet explorer and place it on the desktop in windows8?  The procedure used in xp doesn't seem to work and there doesn't seem to be an intuitive approach to this.

In addition how do I set Windows8 to indicate by playing a sound when a file download is finished.  In a related matter is there any way I can set the computer to open a new window indicating download status and speed like xp did under windows8?

I'm using jfw14.

I find this new os rather usable but with lots of small niggling annoyances.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Dave Marthouse
dmarthouse at gmail.com