[gui-talk] Problems with Skydrive

Humberto Avila avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 21:34:52 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I am attempting to download a file I have previously uploaded to my SkyDrive
account in Windows Live. I was successfully able to upload the file, but
now, I cannot, for some odd reason, download back.

The file I am trying to download is an mp3 file and it is like 2 mb of size.
However, I have tried to download many different ways. On the web interface,
I have tried checking the checkbox, clicking its link, then selecting the
file and clicking the download link, using the JAWS cursor as well as the
NVDA mouse function to click it, jumping up and down on this, and doing many
funny things, but guess what happens? Absolutely Nada. There is no sign the
file is downloaded, placed into my downloads folder nor there is a file
download appearing. I had made sure there were no popups blocked from the
Skydrive site, and everything to get it to download. There is not even a
single popup appearing anywhere that tells me the download is going. There's
no information bar, or no security dialog box appearing either.

I have used both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox browsers, and so far,
none of them works. I have even tried with both screen readers, NVDA and
JAWS, and none of them gives me hope. I have windows live installed on my
system, and it seems that the application does not interfere with the
process at all. Heck, I have even checked my browser settings to allow
cookies and / or third party settings for the site. Still, not a sign of the
file download.

Some time ago, I downloaded a Skydrive application for windows that works
from within Windows Explorer, but my heart sunk when I found out that it is
not supported in windows xp-that is totally ridiculous!

So, my question is, is there any way that I can download this file to my
computer without switching over to my win 7 laptop computer for 1 minute
only, and using either the web interface or another way that I can do in
Windows XP? Is there a third-party application that does Skydrive and works
well on XP?

P.S. I am using windows xp service pack 3, with 0.99 gb of ram, JAWS 13.0 /
NVDA 2012.1.1, Mozilla firefox latest version-I'm not sure what number it
is-and internet explorer 8.0.

Any feedback is appreciated and welcome.

Humberto