[gui-talk] seeking ETI eloquence voices for windows

Humberto Avila avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 02:54:45 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for standalone ETI eloquence voices, like the ones JAWS
uses, or an eloquence synthesizer that can be used generically in windows or
with any kind of screen reader. My computer crashed last fall, and to avoid
the hurtle of restarting my computer every 40 minutes of being done with a
demo JAWS; I use NVDA for the most part. I don't like the voices that NVDA
comes by default, with a synthesizer named eSpeak, and I am growing tired of
Microsoft Sam for windows xp SAPI 5 voice. Unfortunately, NVDA does not come
with eloquence voices.

Because of copyright situations, I know that ETI eloquence synthesizer is
probably not freely available. However, is there a screen reader, or a
scanning and reading solution software made for the blind that comes with
ETI Eloquence voices and installs them for use with other screen readers and
the like? For example, I heard that the Kurtzwale k1000 package software
comes with eloquence. If so, can this be used standalone like a voice for a
screen reader like NVDA? How can I obtain a copy of a trial version of k
1000?

Alternatively, are there any web sites or applications where I can download
and / or obtain better voices than Microsoft Sam? Are there any sapi 5
voices that I can download for free? If so where?

Any feedback, suggestions and comments are welcome.

BTW, I'm using windows xp service pack 3, and NVDA 2012.1 latest version.

Sincerely,

Humberto