[gui-talk] JAWS Screen Echo Issue

Mary Donahue braille at satx.rr.com
Sun Nov 13 23:34:25 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

    This issue has bugged me for some time so I decided it was time to find a solution and to make a feature request to Freedom Scientific to help remedy this problem. I do lots of recording and have had a number of presentations and programs ruined by unwanted JAWS chatter even when "Screen Echo" is set to none! My idea of the "None" setting of JAWS screen echo is obviously different than that of Freedom Scientific. When I invoke this setting I expect absolutely nothing to be voiced by JAWS including Windows Update and other messages that often pop up during a recording session. I'm sure some of you have had this happen and have come up with remedies for it. I'll appreciate hearing them.

    Whenever I want to record a program from the Internet I could drag out my trusty mixer which has an internal sound card that would divert JAWS speech away from the material being recorded but this to me is over-kill when an enhanced screen echo setting could be included in future releases of JAWS and other screen readers that would solve this problem. The holidays are coming up and we record lots of programs during that time. We would appreciate them not being ruined by unwanted chatter from JAWS during the recording session. Your feedback, suggestions, and a feature in JAWS 14 to address this concern would be very much appreciated.

Peter Donahue