[gui-talk] Seeking Guidance On MSIE8

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon May 30 21:19:38 UTC 2011

With respect, I think we have to distinguish between a software vendor
making changes in interfaces that we're not used to versus making something
absolutely inaccessible. There's a difference. I'm not saying that
complaints about the awkwardness of interfaces aren't in order; I'm merely
opining that it would behoove us to be very careful to state our complaints
exactly. After all, believe it or not, there are plenty of sighted folks who
do not like the Ribbon interface. But I do not believe we deserve nor should
we ask for special consideration when interfaces change so long as we still
have access to the functionality even if it is different and we might have
to learn something new.

I'll admit I haven't a clue why sighted folks insist upon changing the look
and feel of software every five nanoseconds; it seems to me that if a vendor
"gets it right" once, it should be okay for the next twenty years. But then
I never sought after novelty. The fact is that we must deal with the world
as it is while insisting that our abilities to use modern technologies
aren't trampled upon in the name of "progress".

Mike