[gui-talk] JAWS: Job Access with speech

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat May 7 16:34:08 UTC 2011

Nadia,

If you need a screen reader and if you want to get help with paying for it, you need to come up with a plan.  First, you
have to think about why you need one.  Don't get angry at me, I'm not saying you don't need one, but you have to
explain why to the people who matter.  If you have some vision and can see the screen, for example, you have to
figure out when that doesn't work for you.  Most of us here understand that low vision doesn't always work, but many
people, including those in Special Education, don't understand about the limitations of low vision.

If you are getting special education services, you should be having meetings where it is discussed what kinds of
services you need.  This is probably the place where you need to deal with this.  Of course, your school district will
wonder why this has not been brought up before this.  If you don't have an Individualized Education Plan meeting until
next year and you can show that something has changed, you might be able to talk to your special education teacher
about amending your plan.  If you are not receiving any of these services, we would need to understand your
background better to help.  The point is that you have to think this through and figure out what you need and why,
and then have a plan as to how to approach this.  If you can't use a computer becausze of your vision, I would think
that you would have gotten something before this, so I'm concerned that we don't know all of the facts.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson