[gui-talk] Windows Seven

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Wed Feb 23 21:18:02 UTC 2011

You can just hit the Windows key for the search box; ctrl-Escape is not necessary unless your keyboard doesn't have a Windows key.

GW Micro did some audio tutorials using Vista, and I learned some things from them.  I would think that FS would have some information among all their training materials.

When Windows 7 came out, PC World ran articles about the user interface.  This is available in Braille from NLS, including on Web-Braille.  Smart Computing, also from NLS, may have run some useful articles a year or two back, and these would be available on BARD.  And NLS recorded a talking book, "Windows 7 for Seniors, for Dummies" which has some useful information.

Some programs, typically Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer, will by default be "pinned" to the taskbar.  So they will appear there even if they are not running.  These programs can be started directly with Windows-1, Windows-2, etc.  Or if you focus on them on the taskbar, you can use the context menu key to start them on recently-visited web pages, in recently-visited folders, etc.  You can pin other programs to the taskbar.  Some people like to put lots of programs on the Desktop, as they did in previous versions of Windows, but this is less necessary if you get used to the search box.  Many programs that used to appear on the System Tray are normally hidden and will only appear if you press Enter on the chevron icon of the Systray.  You don't need Insert-F11 (JAWS) or Insert-S (Window-Eyes) to go to the Systray; you can use Windows-B instead.

I am still not quite used to the way Windows Explorer works; some tree views don't act the way they used to, and some options like "names" are more for visual grouping than for keyboard access.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.