[gui-talk] Google Search Settings Page No Longer Accessible

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Wed Dec 14 19:00:06 UTC 2011

Using Window-eyes 7.2 (not the latest version out there) and IE 8, and going to the Options, Settings page of google.com, I found that some of these items are being set by means of JavaScript controls.  With Browse mode on, Window-Eyes called them sliders.  With Browse mode off (equivalent to Forms mode for JAWS) these items are called track bars.  YOu should be able to adjust track bars with the arrow keys.  And the Help page says you won't get more than 10 results per page unless the Instant Search feature is turned off.

Using this setup with Firefox (some version later than 4), I still see the link for screen reader users.  But I think that this is because the cookies for Firefox have not indicated to Google that I wanted that option changed.

There are so many combinations of browsers, screen readers and operating systems that you can't make many generalizations about the accessibility of any of them.

Results might be interesting if I went there with Lynx or with JavaScript disabled.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.