[gui-talk] windows 7 loss of speech

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Sun Dec 4 16:32:28 UTC 2011

Interesting concept there, but unless I'm missing something big, that
would produce enough announcements to be more annoying than short-term
speech delays now are. I don't know if Windows implements real-time
process scheduling like, for example, FreeBSD does; but even without
that, plenty of cases exist where speech is not and should not be the
top priority of the CPU. An example is an application in charge of
monitoring real-time events, like network packet arrival, USB
sensor/probe data input, and even keyboard input.

Process scheduling is surely one of the trickier businesses of an
operating system. I happen to like the experiences I've had on various
Unix-style operating systems with regard to this, but to be fair, my
speech when using those, up until MacOS at least, has always come from
a separate computer, which means my experiences say nothing of the
problem you're trying to solve.