[gui-talk] home network problem

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Aug 22 14:06:43 UTC 2011

I find the thumb drive approach useful but a last resort.  Even dropbox is a more convenient approach if you share certain files consistently.  However, these
solutions all result in storing multiple copies of files which can be useful in terms of backup but results in redundancy.  I can tell you for certain as I thought
through this that I did copy a bunch of files through our network from a Windows XP machine to a Windows 7 laptop initiating the copy from the Windows 7
machine.  As I say, you have to not be within the "home networking" branch of the network tree on the Windows 7 machine, you won't find the XP machine
there because it can't use "home networking" which is a particular kind of network under Windows 7.  Obviously you will need to be sure that the folders
are being shared that you want to see as well.  One of the frustrations I have had with networking on Windows is that sometimes it seems to take a few
minutes after machines are booted up for all machines to be able to discover each other.  This means that when you change something, it may not have an
immediate effect and you don't always know when you corrected a problem right away.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson