[gui-talk] Access to video on demand for blind people

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Aug 16 02:25:54 UTC 2011

Humberto:

The short answer is NO. I know of no On Demand cable service that is
independently accessible by the blind through a cable or set-top box. I have
heard rumors, however, that some cable/Internet providers do have a way to
access On Demand video via computer.

Presumably, the 21st Century Communications and video Accessibility Act will
remedy this situation as will our proposed Technology Bill of Rights. But I
wouldn't hold my breath for an immediate solution.  There just aren't enough
of us to bring sufficient influence to bear to make it happen outside of the
framework of legal sanctions.

Mike Freeman