[gui-talk] Access to video on demand for blind people

Humberto Avila avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 22:38:25 UTC 2011

Hello dear Folks,

I am wondering: is anybody familiar with Video On Demand? Is video On demand
partly or fully accessible for blind people? If your cable company provides
you with Video On Demand, is it accessible, and / or do you know which
companies have their video on demand interface accessible?
I ask this because, as blind people gain access to the latest technology at
a faster pace than in previous years, we could probably use that service. if
blind people can use computers running screen readers, laptops, notetakers
and even touch-screen Iphones and iPads, blind people could also get access
to their digital cable box interfaces.
For example, I use charter as my cable provider, and I am able to change
channels on my remote control independently (I learned the layout of the
remote plus, I can use the NFB Newsline TV listings feature on NFB newsline
to see what is going on). when I press the number 1 for channel 1, which is
video on demand, the advertisements start and I draw blanks.
although I don't watch TV as much, I would like to know or find out if there
is a way, if Video on demand is not accessible to the blind, to be able to
make it accessible and so blind people can access content just like their
sighted peers. I know there are blind people that love to "watch" TV and
even go to the movies. So if blind people can do that, why can't blind
people also get access to their on demand service?
Is there any sort of screen reading service that is being provided with
cable companies that can read what is displayed once blind people access
Video On Demand? I know digital TV boxes are like minicomputers and they act
like computers, so is it possible to install text-to-speech software on
those boxes for blind people to not only look up their on demand services
offerings but, to maneuver all the menus displayed within their boxes also?

Have you ever wondered about this? Any tips on how to make video on demand
or cable boxes accessible for the blind, or ways to work around it, or
issues?
thoughts are welcome.

                  --
Humberto Avila
Please consider the environment Before Printing this email.