[gui-talk] Problems Galore

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Thu Sep 23 13:19:25 UTC 2010

I would advise against disabling User Account Control.  Once properly installed, Window-Eyes reads it just fine, and the default level is OK for general use.  You get a unique sound when U A C comes up.  If you are in the middle of installing something, you can read the UAC dialog and press Alt-Y or left-arrow followed by Enter to approve making the change.

Windows 7 has a lot of new things to get used to, but they can be used productively.  You will need to learn about how inactive programs can be "pinned" to the taskbar, how they have jump lists of recently-used files and websites available from the context menu key, how their default action can be started with the Windows key combined with a number, etc.  Check frequently for notifications on the System Tray, especially those which are hidden behind the "chevron" icon that indicates more stuff.  And my experience is that you can probably not expect to start a computer out of the box with Narrator alone, but will need some sighted help for an hour or two to get your system off the ground so you can start exploring.

NLS has "Windows 7 for Seniors, for Dummies" as a digital talking book available on BARD.  Although it is mouse-oriented and somewhat dumbed down, anyone could learn some useful concepts from it.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.