[gui-talk] Problem With New Adobe Reader 10

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sun Nov 21 23:27:46 UTC 2010

Adobe recently released the latest version of Adobe Reader, version 10.0.  I had been using Adobe Reader 9.4 with no problems, so like a dope, I downloaded and installed Adobe Reader  10.0 from the Adobe download page.  The installation went smoothly and once it was completed, I was presented with the Accessibility Wizard, which I tabbed through without making any changes.  But when I tried to download a PDF file using this new version of Adobe Reader, instead of the familiar Windows file download dialog with progress bar announcements, I got instead what appeared to be an Adobe file downloader with no progress bar announcements.  Using the JAWS cursor, I tracked the download progress, but when it reached about 70%, it just stopped and would not continue.  So I tried downloading a different PDF file that I had previously downloaded successfully using Adobe Reader 9.4, but the same thing happened: the download reached about 70% and stopped.  So I unstalled Adobe Reader 10.0 and performed a System Restore to roll back to Adobe Reader 9.4.  I got version 9.4, all right, but not the screen reader accessible version.  So I unstalled this version of 9.4 and downloaded a fresh copy of the accessible version of 9.1 and used the Check for Updates feature to restore version 9.4.  Now Adobe Reader is working fine again.  Apparently, I encountered some kind of problem with Adobe Reader 10.0.  Has anyone else experienced problems with this new version of Adobe Reader?  I'm running JAWS 9 with XP Pro. Thanks for any feedback.

Gerald