[gui-talk] that sonic cane

Hoffman, Allen Allen.Hoffman at dhs.gov
Thu Mar 25 17:18:24 UTC 2010

I found the laser cane very intriguing when I was a test member in the
70's.

I found the sonic glasses even more interesting at that time.  I could,
for example, pick out half-inch bracing piping above my head as I walked
along a tunnel with the sonic glasses.  It doesn't sound like a big
deal, and for purely navigational reasons it wasn't, but if was planning
to use the information to find, for example, a particular spot in the
tunnel, it would work.

The laser cane at the time was only partially helpful in my view, but if
you had to regularly walk through areas with drop offs, or obstructions
which don't start at ground level, like tree branches, the cane was
helpful.  Examples of where such information is helpful can include
parks, train stations, more industrial settings, etc.  I can tell you as
one who uses "heavy" rail regularly, such information in the loud
setting of the train station might be invaluable.

The color discriminator sounds interesting.
I could see building in a GPS navigation system in to the top end of a
cane, but since GPS is becoming so commodity now, it would have to be
customized greatly.

I'm happy to see more innovation in this area-as there seems to be
opportunities for making use of more information than a stick can
provide.  Then again, it's what you know at the top of the stick that
determines the value of the information from the bottom.

Allen Hoffman
DHS : CRCL & OCIO;
DHS Office Of Accessible Systems and Technology
email: allen.hoffman at dhs.gov <mailto:allen.hoffman at dhs.gov>  or
accessibility at dhs.gov
v: 202-447-0303; c: 202-213-1835;
Fax: 202-447-0582 tty: 202-401-0725
DHS Accessibility Help Desk: 202-447-0440

This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal
and state law governing electronic communications and may contain
sensitive and legally privileged information. If  the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this in error, please reply
immediately to the sender and delete this message.
 Thank you.