[gui-talk] Different plan of attack

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Mon Jan 25 17:33:55 UTC 2010

Thanks for the compliment :)  but it turns out I oversimplified one
part of my description.

I said "

	- For now at least, when possible, provide text blocks outside the
	  Flash content (in HTML) rather than inside it, because a lot of
	  text that is not within an actionable control is not presented
	  to screen readers by the Player.  (This recommendation comes
	  from observations I have made myself more than from professional
	  work I have done or from recommendations from a more reliable
	  source.  As such, it is subject to correction.)

A coworker (Jon Avila) adjusted my description by saying

Flash accessibility does not expose structure such as headings, bulleted lists,
etc and thus document type text is best placed outside.

So apparently text itself isn't the problem I thought, but the
recommendation for keeping text blocks outside of Flash when possible
stands for another reason.