[gui-talk] Different plan of attack

hmp humbertoa5369 at netzero.net
Mon Jan 25 04:46:51 UTC 2010

To my concern regarding this issue, a blind person has the full
right to entertain his or herself. I don't see why the screen
reader manufacturers are doing that. The screen reader
manufacturers should also consider the blind people to use the
computer for entertainment just like sighted people do. Just to
point, when someone is bored or he or she is tired of work, all
he or she does is look for entertainment. Life is not only
working and doing jobs; life is also entertainment and fun, and I
can't see why a blind person cannot be having the same advantages
as a sighted one. For once, computers cannot be used only for
employment, education or the like, but also they are used for fun
and entertainment. We blind people have the right to do the same
things too!
Screen reader manufacturers should be able to think like this.
(Well, that is how I think and so other people may or may not
agree.) But I don't understand why a Screen Reader manufacturer
would not make Flash or internet games accessible for the blind,
which is totally "dumb" from my point of view. We should be able
to express these feelings to any manufacturer.

lifestyle"
>and have gone beyond the traditional employment arena into
>entertainment and other genres of screen reader use. Even with
Windows
>Media Center, which among other things allows the common user to
>record and play live TV shows, FS has stated at blindness
conventions

wrote:

>> Hi List members.  Cross posting this question to get different
feedback on
>> this topic.  I've been sending messages of complaint to GSN
formerly Game
>> Show network saying that I'm not able to play the games on the
site and
>> therefore don't have the same chance to win the Oodles points
sighted
>> people
>> can win to cash in for prizes.  I can only answer the daily
questions and
>> therefore win 50/100 oodles at a time.  It would take me a
thousand days
>> straight just to win enough oodles to cash in for some prizes
and  that is
>> if I
>> get all questions right.  I can't even enter the chat during
GSN live and
>> the only way I can play a game connected to the channel is to
enter  the GSN
>> live games every day.  They say they can't program the site they
say since
>> flash is the standard on game sites they are obviously sticking
with  it.
>> It's funny how they say in replies thanks for being a part of
the GSN
>> community.  I sure feel like a second class citizen.  AOL did
the  right
>> thing so
>> why can't the people at GSN?  even when the National  federation
of the
>> blind and gw Micro or Freedom scientific are brought to their
attention
>> nothing
>> changes.  I will not accept the fact that I will never  ever be
able to win
>> all that money on bingo blitz, Yeah I can't even enter those
drawings.  So
>> rather than keep harping to deaf ears, the thought I had in
mind is what
>> can we do to help make GSN accessible from the screen readers
point  of
>> view?
>>  Rather than making the site accessible, what can we do to make
the screen
>> reader accessible to the site.  One of the advantages of using
flash is
>> that it is smaller in terms of drive space.  A version of the
Adobe flash
>> player is less than two MB, Whereas the windows media player or
the  real
>> player are close to or even over 20 MB.  Flash does provide
better  quality
>> audio
>> and video in a smaller player.  So I'd like the opinion of
Jaws,
>> Window-eyes, and NVDA users how we can make the screen readers
work on the
>> GSN site
>> and play the games there.  We can lick the recent CD baby issue
as  well as
>> the Pandora issue too.  of course part of my problem is dial up
connection,
>> and I'm working on going broadband so that will be taken care of
soon.  So
>> the question is, if GSN, CD baby,or Pandora won't make the sites
work with
>> a screen reader, what can we do to make it work the other way
around?  how
>> can we develop screen reading software to work with their
sites?  This is
>> going to take people with site to do it, but I think  especially
with an
>> Open source Screen reader like NVDA we can do it.  If  they
won't make sites
>> accessible, let's try it the other way around.  Many  of my
friends and the
>> members of the computer talk club of NJ are worried that  the
developers of
>> assistive technology won't be able to keep up and in a couple
years we'll
>> no
>> longer have any access to anything on the Internet.  More  and
more sites
>> are going this direction and I think it's up to us to change
it.  What can
>> we
>> do about this issue?  I would ask that some of you  take a look
at that
>> site _www.gsn.com_ (http://www.gsn.com/)  and if  you are
already
>> registered,
>> take a look at the wonder wheel and other games  especially the
versions of
>> games that aren't generally visual like  Jeopardy.  There is no
reason why
>> that isn't accessible when the show  clearly is.  They had blind
players on
>> it.  Family Feud too and why is  the version of Deal or no Deal
not
>> accessible.  Clearly the show is.   Tell me how a blind player
couldn't go
>> on that
>> show Huh?  Let's tackle this  one together.  Thanks Ken.

>> I pledge to  participate actively in the efforts of the national
federation
>> of the blind to  achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind;
>> to support the  policies and programs of the federation; and
abide by it's
>> constitution.

>> I pledge to  participate actively in the efforts of the national
federation
>> of the blind to  achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind;
>> to support the  policies and programs of the federation; and
> [...]
http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/gui-talk_nfbnet.org/wcmerri
tt%40gmail.com