[gui-talk] Different plan of attack

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 01:13:12 UTC 2010

Despite your strong desire to make this work, I'm afraid that you will
run into the thinking from the screen reader manufacturers of how this
fits into an employment/job/career focus with their various screen
readers. Among FS, GW Micro, Serotek, and NVDA, Serotek has been the
only ones thus far that have embraced the "active digital lifestyle"
and have gone beyond the traditional employment arena into
entertainment and other genres of screen reader use. Even with Windows
Media Center, which among other things allows the common user to
record and play live TV shows, FS has stated at blindness conventions
that there are no plans to make this accessible since it doesn't
really tie into getting and keeping jobs, and the like. Though people
have made this particular application work with JAWS or Narator, it's
not a high priority with FS. IMO, you may have better luck pitching
this gaming idea to Serotek than you might with the other screen
reader manufacturers, provided you can sell the idea of blind people
participating in a gaming site. I know that blind people like gaming,
and there have been some acessible gaming sites such as All inPlay
that have popped up in recent years, but I don't know of many that
have saught to jump into gaming from arenas such as the Game Show
network. This could be because it's not accessible, but there may be
another hurtle to jump over in that regard. I don't have any ideas for
you, just wanted to throw out some food for thought. Perhaps if
Serotek started going in that direction, then the other screen reader
vendors would start paying attention, or at least takenote.

Good luck,
Wayne