[gui-talk] Jaws won't say "control C" on folder namesinWindowsExplorer

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 16:36:01 UTC 2010

Lloid is correct on this. Each time I open Windows Explorer/My
Computer and land in the list view, the first item is always
unselected. Selected or unselected aside though, Joel, the tree view
is the part of the window you can arrow up and down in, and then use
right arrow to open a branch and left arrow to close a branch. The
list view only lets you arrow up/down in, and use the other various
list view commands. You can't use left/right arrow in a list view. I
suppose perhaps to select a file, but you could also press space to do
this as well, as has been noted here.

As for unloading and loading JAWS, this goes back to basic
troubleshootting steps that every screen reader user should know. Not
knocking you for not knowing, but now would be a good time to learn.
The steps are as follows: perform a JAWS screen refresh with Insert
Escape, unload and reload JAWS, and reboot the computer. Some people
throw in 2 additional steps of maximizing the window and
closing/reopening the application, but even these 3 steps first listed
would get the job done. When loading JAWS, you need to either have a
hotkey setup for JAWS and/or be able to access the JAWS item on the
desktop without speech.

Hope all this helps,
Wayne