[gui-talk] Jaws won't say "control C" on folder names in Windows Explorer

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Mon Jan 4 18:15:20 UTC 2010

I know a lot of listers are using Window Eyes or even Macs, which leaves
still some Jaws people I can consult here, no?

IOn this notorius laptop I've just begun using, an odd thing is happening. I
use Windows explorer for most of my housekeeping, by which I mean folder and
file manipuation.

Sometimes, naturally enough, I have reason to copy or even cut a folder in
order to move it or copy it somewhere. I've long been skillful with this
sort of operation.

But on this laptop, when my up or down arrow key puts me on the folder and
speaks its name, if I press control c Jaws says "nothing selected."

Now, I remember suffering some similar problem a few  versions of Jaws go,
but with files. Sometimes they'd defy me like that. But someone on another
mailing list taught me that I could left and right arrow once or twice, and
that would bring the file into focus so that it could be operated upon.

But you know you can't do that with a folder name. A left arrow will close
it or take you up one level, and a right arrow will either open it, if it
has subfolders, or do nothing at all.

I've managed to get a few folders copied from my C drive to my thumb drive
by using the copy and paste commands on the applications context menu, but
this is awfully awkward compared to the good old Control C, Control V
method.

anhyw Any ideas? Something I can do, or reset in a menu, or something? I'm
afraid if I call FS Tech Support, they'll just say they can't duplicate it
on their end, wish me luck, and hang up. Maybe I'm being too harsh on them,
but I've known that to happen.

thanks,
Joel