[gui-talk] Still hassling with my laptop keyboard

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sat Jan 2 05:15:50 UTC 2010

Wayne,

Pouch? What pouch? A leather bag of some sort? You must mean, in some way,
the two long buttons that seem to be the touch pad. This is no little
netbook; the area beneath the keyboard is very broad and large, and those
keys are easy to avoid and don't have a hair trigger sensitivity, even if I
should accidentally brush against them, which is unlikely.

If I did somehow deactivate those buttons, I'd get a USB mouse for those
rare instances where a sighted friend might want to use the computer. I have
no desire to teach Windows keyboard commands to anyone who's not normally
interested in them, so that would be my solution in such a situation. But it
seems as if it's all moot, because as I said, the touch pad seems pretty
easy to avoid and hard to activate by accident. Honest. I've experimented
freely with this by leaving the computer turned off but opening it up and
running my hands over the area, finding and pressing the touch pad keys, and
so forth. I think I'm okay on this issue. Thanks.