[gui-talk] Still hassling with my laptop keyboard

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Fri Jan 1 21:12:37 UTC 2010

Hi Lloyd,

I'm aware that there's an area faintly outlined by grooves in the central
area of that big flat hand rest slab beneath the keyboard area. I knew to
look out for it just from things people said on lists, and the sighted
friend who configured this particular Acer for me pointed out exactly where
it was, disabled it partly in the bios (he's an I T professional, so he
knows what  he's doing) but warned me to simply keep my hands clear of the
area, no matter what. So far I've put in hours sitting with this machine on
my knees and learning slowly to use it, and I've so far been entirely
successful in avoiding that patch that is the touch pad. I'm not misspelling
words like that last one, just breaking them up so that Jaws doesn't
mispronounce them, which drives me nuts.

Thanks for the warning, though. And Happy New Year!

Joel