[gui-talk] Installed new Winamp but can't touch it with Jaws

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sat Feb 6 23:59:10 UTC 2010

Remember I was trying to get rid of that update notice that was blockingh me
from Winamp? Well, I went to the Control Panel, Add/Remove  Software, and
removed it. A dialogue said that a few files had been left behind, and I
could delete them if I liked.

So I  found the Winamp section of Program Files, and deleted every thing
there, which was mostly subfolders that said something about Add-Ons and
another that said Windows Detect. I figured I was doing the right thing.

well I founddownloaded and installed  the new free version of Winamp, and
because I chose to allow it to open when I finished the installation, a
brawny-sounding male voice said something about how great Winamp is, for a
few seconds. during this time, I could pause it, end it and/or start from
the beginning just like normal, but guess what? When I exited it then
pressed Enter to play one of my .mp3 music files (which I keep on my
computer, not in some library attached to a player program), the song played
and I could see the dark square that was Winamp, but I couldn't touch it
with the keyboard commands.

Anybody know why things happened this way? I'm really disappointed. I was
having so much trouble with that update invvitation that I went through all
this, and now it doesn't work right with Jaws.

I'll admit that all I care about is that Winamp lets you see stuff like
track name, length, how it was recorded or compressed, start, pause and
start it by will.

But what's all this about, anyway? Help!
Jole