[gui-talk] IPhone app GoodReader

Griffiths, Steve Steve.Griffiths at rnib.org.uk
Tue Dec 7 11:03:14 UTC 2010

The www.applevis.com site is useful for queries like this.

Here's what it says about the accessibility of GoodReader:
Voiceover will read any file accessed using the standard iOS engine.
Good Reader has its own custom engine which is designed to handle large
pdf and txt files. Any files accessed using the custom engine (that is,
txt and pdf files) will not be read by Voiceover. There is no way to
change what engine is being used. When you open a file containing text,
Good Reader will tell you that navigation controls (most importantly the
back button) and other options will disappear to make your file viewing
experience more comfortable. It then tells you to tap the center of the
screen to make these controls visible again. To accomplish this as a VO
user, one must disable VO, tap the center of the screen, and reenable it
again. I'd recommend setting up triple-click home under
settings/general/accessibility/Voiceover to work if you're going to use
this app. This will allow you to toggle VO on and off by pressing home
three times in rapid succession.

Steve