[gui-talk] Strange Search Dialogue in Windows Explorer

Baracco, Andrew W Andrew.Baracco at va.gov
Mon Aug 30 15:34:54 UTC 2010

I am using Windows XP, and the other day I apparently did something that
changed how I access folders in Windows Explorer or My Computer.

It used to be that I could hit ENTER on a highlighted folder and be
taken into the folder and could view the list of files.  Now, when I hit
ENTER on a highlighted folder, a search dialogue appears saying
something like, "Type the first few letters of the file name".  And, if
I am at that highlighted foler and I hit the ALT key to go into the File
menu, rather than the first choice being "Open", now the first choice is
"Search".  And, before you say to hit CONTROL E, this only brings up
another search dialogue.  How do I get rid of this Search thing so I can
ALT, and arrow down to Open and hit ENTER, but I don't want the extra
steps.

Andy