[gui-talk] memory issue

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Aug 29 16:38:48 UTC 2010

Ken:

You're still using dial-up? NO wonder you had streaming problems on Friday!
Although there are streams for dial-up, the streams one normally encounters
on radio station sites require broadband. But that't not the issue here.

Frankly, without far more information, most of which would have to be
gathered by a software package installed on your machine and, perhaps, run
in Safe Mode such that Window-eyes wouldn't work, we can't give you a
definitive answer. However, I can make the following observations. Bear in
mind that, to some extent, these are just my opinions.

(1) There's a reason AOL has lost a slew of subscribers. I suspect that
something in the AOL software is causing the disk activity you notice. While
annoying, I'm not sure you need be as worried about your hard drive as you
seem to be. I'm using a computer I bought in November, 2003, and while I've
had it reloaded a couple of times (once because of a virus I caught because
I got overly-curious), the hard drive is still going strong. In any event,
the AOL software may be doing tasks -- keeping track of your activity,
downloading new content or even versions of itself -- that occur in the
background and of which you are unaware.

(2) There's a dirty little secret most people don't seem to know: Windows
itself seems to have some memory leaks or, if nothing else, has some
problems with disk optimization -- at least XP does and I am sure Vista does
also. Too soon to know about Windows 7. Most people find that after a year
or two, to get the performance they once had, they have to completely reload
their system. Thus the need for a backup of the system with a clean copy of
Windows and all the software (including Window-eyes) on it *just* after all
of it has been reloaded and customized. In this case, hind-sight is 20/20
but there it is. Industry and consumers never seem to have held Microsoft to
the same standards as they once held operating systems (I have a workstation
at work running Vax/VMS that has been up -- without reboot -- for over a
year! Put that in your PC pipe and smoke it!) WE as a society have gotten
tolerant of sloppy programming. And although adherents of other systems such
as Mac OS or LINUXZ will trumpet the virtues of their operating systems (and
they are many), they, too, have their problems. In my opinion, almost *all*
computer programs written in languages higher than assembly-language are
inordinately inefficient and we as a society ohve decided that it's cheaper
to throw hardware (increased processor power and multiple processors) at
computer slowdowns than to step back and rewrite the code more efficiently.
This offends my sense of computer order! (grin)

Bottom line: to truly figure out what's going down, you might have to take
your machine to the Geek Squad or similar outfit you trust and have them
observe it for a while. But you may also find that with dial-up, your asking
your computer to do more than it was designed for given today's streaming
speeds and the like. I know I'm just barely on the edge with this machine --
it keeps up but the processor is being worked close to its max.

HTH!

Mike