[gui-talk] Fwd: Playing with Voxi Recorder

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Wed Aug 4 01:24:46 UTC 2010

 From:    Dane Trethowan grtdane at internode.on.net
 To:      PC Audio Discussion List Pc-audio at pc-audio.org

I'm a little ashamed, had this app for over 7 months and I've done next
to nothing with it in that time <smile>.

Just been rediscovering the app and I've started playing around with
the terribly useful "Express recording" mode, this mode can be set to
behave in different ways.  For example, suppose you launch Voxi and
you have Voxi set to launch in "Express mode", to start recording you
just shake your Iphone, Ipad or Ipod Touch, device vibrates and a beep
sound is heard, start talking and when you've finished shake the
device again, device vibrates, a beep is heard and the recording stops
so its at this point where things get truly interesting.

You can define an action after you've finished recording, in other
words you can tell Voxi what you want done with the recording, you can
have it automatically emailed to yourself, to a nominated friend,
choose to send it to multiple receipients, save the recording as a
file to share on your network and so on.  I usually email my
recordings and the quality is excellent and I only use the "Medium
quality" preset, you can set high quality up to a sampling rate of 44.
1KHZ but these files become rather large and for voice recording it
seems rather pointless.

I'm sure your imagination could think of endless possibilities for
the use of Voxi but here's one which it gets mostly used for with my
Iphone.  I often go out to lunch with friends or whatever, they may
give me a phone number, an email address or another point of reference
so its pretty easy to launch Voxi on the Iphone, shake, have my friend
dictate the point of interest, shake the Iphone again and find it
waiting for me at home as a voice recording in an email.

Voxi is a full dictation suite, you can even have your voice recordings
transcribed and emailed to you or sent to you on Twitter if they're
short, there's a small charge for that but the transcription is
accurate.

Dane Trethowan
grtdane at internode.on.net
Mobile:/SMS +614571201