[gui-talk] the brain is the ultimate graphical user interface

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Fri Sep 25 17:46:04 UTC 2009

I clicked on this Kurzweill page, then found and clicked on the printable
article version in order to have a clean, easy to navigate Web page to read
with Jaws, and gave Jaws the Say All command.

But it read only a little more, a few lines more, than you must have
excerpted for your post, and stopped dead. I down-arrowed and explored, but
there was nothing after (below). I went back to the first version of the
page, and it seemed that not even this much was there.

Here are the last lines I found on the printable version page. Is this all
there is? I was expecting an actual article of some detail and length
because Cubit had discussed the topic at some length. But from this short
abstract or whatever it is, I can't for the life of me extrapolate very much
about this topic. Does it have to do with using functional MRI scans, for
instance, to track brain activity by area in response to stimuli? Or is it
something else? I can't actually figure out anything about this, given so
little. Maybe I clicked on the wrong thing or something? Here are the last
words I was able to find, and I quote:

These findings confirm the notion that numbers are encoded in the brain via
detailed and specific activity patterns.

...and that's it. Sorry the hyperlinks copied here as active links, or at
least that's what I'm getting in the message as I prepare it. Informative as
this sort of thing may be, I generally find it intrusive and distracting
when I'm trying to just read through some prose. If I want to know what a
brain is I can look it up. Don't need these peoples' constant links. But
that's just me.
Anyway, where's an article of any substance? Or is this simply touching on a
larger story some people like Cubit are already aware of because it was on
TV, which I don't have? What's the story?

Thanks.
rea hperlinks