[gui-talk] omni page 17

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Mon Sep 21 01:55:16 UTC 2009

I use OmniPage 15, and find most of it quite accessible with Window-Eyes.
You don't get a currency recognizer program like with OpenBook and K1000.
And it is not a self-voicing program, although it can save its OCR results
as WAV files using a built-in, locked-down text-to-speech synthesizer which
sounds like it is bored out of its mind.  (Think of Marvin, the paranoid
android, on "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".  You can do OCR on PDF
files, and in version 17 use the output of a high-res camera as well as
scanners.  I generally save the output in Word format and then read it
there, but you can read the output for checking purposes from inside the
OmniPage program's text editor.  There is no accessible way that I know of
for rezoning the material (defining reading order of various blocks of text
on the page), but I think it does a reasonable job without my help.  You can
save in 33 diferent file formats (in version 15).  I have access to K1000
also, and find that OmniPage doesn't guess as wildly about the words it
finds.Having said that, I don't think that the accuracy of OCR is going to
be much different among these programs.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls