[gui-talk] Fwd: iTunes 9 and Window-Eyes

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Sat Sep 12 03:43:33 UTC 2009

 From:    Aaron Smith aaron at gwmicro.com
 To:      GW Micro List gw-info at gwmicro.com

Greetings,

You've no doubt by now heard that iTunes 9 works well with Window-Eyes
except for the iTunes store. If the store is not important to you, feel
free to upgrade without worry. If the store is important to you, you'll
want to roll back to the previous, iTunes 8.21 (available from
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL928).

iTunes made some major structural changes to the store that broke
Window-Eyes support for it. This will be resolved, but will take a new
version of Window-Eyes and a new version of iTunes. We are actively
working on an update to Window-Eyes for this and a few other significant
issues. Expect some news within the next few weeks. The iTunes update,
however, will take a bit longer. We've been told to expect something
within the next month or so.

This is only a show stopper for those who want to purchase the new
iTouch device for use with the iTunes store. That combination requires
iTunes 9. One work around might be to purchase songs for iTunes through
an alternative source, such as (I've been told) Rhapsody.

Rest assured that we are on top of the situation as much as we can be
from our end, and have a very good dialog open with Apple about the problem.

UPDATE: We just received the following information from an Apple representative:
If users have gone to 9.0 and need to pull back to 8.2.1, they will need to go into
the "Previous Libraries" Folder in Music > iTunes and retrieve their 8.2.1 library
as well because the library was upgraded when they went to 9.0. But the library is
saved off before it is upgraded. They do not have to rebuild their library.

Thanks,

Aaron
--
To insure that you receive proper support, please include all past
correspondence (where applicable), and any relevant information

Aaron Smith
GW Micro
Phone: 260/489-3671
Fax: 260/489-2608