[gui-talk] coordinated approach to access to text books

Hoffman, Allen Allen.Hoffman at dhs.gov
Thu Sep 3 17:30:33 UTC 2009

The recent item in GUI-talk related to Wayne State's response to the
Kindle 2 is a great example of reaction to an industry ignoring
accessibility.  however, I can't strongly urge NFB decision makers to
organize more strategically to resolve the access to textbooks issue,
not just litigate it.  As the National Instructional materials
Accessibility legislation shows, steps can be taken to work with all
stakeholders to improve accessibility and take advantage of technology.
this is way over due folks, this should be a priority, and I'd say a
very high priority.  We need to stop reacting, and start more proactive
efforts to ensure access to textbooks, or we will continue to have
enormous obstacles to receiving an equal education.

I'm certain I am not familiar with all the appropriate pieces that need
to be put in place to accomplish this change, but one that seems clear
is a copyrights amendment to clearly state that text-to-speech via
automated mechanisms is not equivalent to an audio book with human
performer, and no such associated audio performance copyrights are
applicable.  Additionally, a requirement for colleges to require
availability of accessible electronic textbooks if mandated for use
seems like the right approach, as was kind of done for NIMAS.

What's holding this strategic work back?