[gui-talk] still can't delete messages from inbox in Outlook Express

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 26 22:21:07 UTC 2009

Are there messages at all in the inbox? Is this an old, possibly corrupted
inbox?
I'm not sure where to start as I haven't followed this thread carefully. But
perhaps you could do some file manipulation -- try this:

1. created a folder in outlook express that is not a subfolder of inbox.
Call it temp.
2. Locate the inbox file on disk -- its name should be inbox.dbx.  Navigate
to the directory containing that file and remove temp.dbx and rename
inbox.dbx to temp.dbx.  Now you have no inbox.
3. run OE again and it should create an empty inbox. Now you will see an
empty inbox and a possibly corrupted folder called temp.  Try opening temp.
Is it working the same as inbox before it was renamed?  How about the empty
inbox created by OE? Is it working?

Sorry if this is confusing.  I'm an old hat at munging with OE but have had
little success with corrupted files.  If you are able to read the files in
the temp folder in OE, try moving them back into inbox using the
control+shift+v command.

Let me know if any of this helps, or makes it worse or whatever...

BTW -- the exact path to your dbx files shouldlook like

C:\documents and settings\YourLogin\local settings\application
data\identities\SomeEncryptedFolderName\Microsoft\Outlook Express

That is where OE keeps your files.  You may have several identities and you
need to pick the one that is for the account you are having trouble with.
Unfortunately it is hard to tell sometimes which encrypted id name is the
one you want.
Oh but remember the windows folder "Local Settings" in the path to your
files is a hidden operating system file so you won't be able to find it in a
search unless you unhide all OS files in folder options.

Ok, if you got this far, congratulations on your patience *smile*
Good luck.  I am afraid I lost some dbx files a few weeks ago in a system
crash. OE is not very fault tolerant.  A corrupted database can be a real
pain.
Happy recovering.
--le