[gui-talk] Fwd: Windows 7 and Window-Eyes 7.X - A Less in Version Conundrum

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Fri Oct 23 06:13:25 UTC 2009

 From:    Aaron Smith aaron at gwmicro.com
 To:      GW Micro Support List GW-Info at gwmicro.com

Greetings,

To help clear up some confusion regarding the versions of Window-Eyes
required to get installed under Windows 7, listen closely:

If you are installing Window-Eyes, from scratch, you will need a CD.
That has always been, and will always be the case. We're are at version
7.11 right now, and ensuring you have the best support for all operating
systems, regardless of how and where you're installing, it behooves you
to have a CD of Window-Eyes 7.11.

That being said, if you are installing Window-Eyes under Windows 7, and
you only have access to a Window-Eyes 7.0, 7.01, or 7.1 CD, you may use
that CD to get Window-Eyes installed, and then run the upgrade from the
Window-Eyes upgrade page (www.gwmicro.com/upgrade). Let me make this
clear, as I feel the point was lost somewhere in previous
communications. You are not required to have a Window-Eyes 7.11 CD to
install Window-Eyes under Windows 7.

We have not tested installing anything prior to Window-Eyes 7.11 under
Windows 7, and therefor are not willing to spend a lot of time
diagnosing potential problems that may occur. That's why we strongly
recommended that you have a Window-Eyes 7.11 CD. Window-Eyes 7.11 is
already four versions ahead of a Window-Eyes 7 CD. But, understand that
you may use a Window-Eyes 7, 7.01, or 7.1 CD to at least get Window-Eyes
installed under Windows 7, and then immediately run the upgrade for the
best in Windows 7 support.

If you are upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7, you will need to
uninstall Window-Eyes first (as mentioned in www.gwmicro.com/KB1111). It
may be possible to leave Window-Eyes, and simply re-install the mirror
driver once Windows 7 is finished installing, but we've not tested this
environment, and feel it is more work than just uninstalling prior to
the upgrade, and re-installing after. If you only have a Window-Eyes 7,
7.01, or 7.1 CD, and are upgrading to Windows 7, as mentioned above, you
can still use that CD to at least get Window-Eyes installed, and then
run the 7.11 upgrade.

To recap, if you only have a Window-Eyes 7, 7.01, or 7.1 CD, and want to
install Window-Eyes under Windows 7, you may do so, and then immediately
upgrade to Window-Eyes 7.11 for the most robust support for the Windows
7 operating system. We still, however, strongly recommend obtaining a
Window-Eyes 7.11 CD, as this will cover you regardless of operating
system, and updated Window-Eyes mobile install (which does not come with
the downloaded upgrade).

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Thanks,

Aaron

--
To insure that you receive proper support, please include all past
correspondence (where applicable), and any relevant information

Aaron Smith
GW Micro
Phone: 260/489-3671
Fax: 260/489-2608