[gui-talk] netbook recommendation

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 13:33:30 UTC 2009

I have the Asus EEE PC 1000HE and use JAWS 10 on it. I love the
portability of the netbook and the fact that I can put the carry case
in a sleeve of my backpack and carry it wherever I go. The Asus 1000HE
has two function keys, 2 control keys, and one windows key. Between
the two function and 2 control keys, keyboard commands are quite easy
and no nonsense to use. There's no home/end or page up/down, but if
you use the function with the 4 arrows, you can memmick these missing
keys. Advertised battery life is 9.5 hours, but I've averaged around
7-8 hours. If you turn the screen off, you can gain more battery life.
You might also want to disable the touch pad, which is relatively easy
to do, since your focus will shift whenever any of your fingers
brushes against the mouse screen that's right below the keyboard. The
keyboard is very comfortable to type on. The hardest thing is
remembering the various quirks between my home computer, my work
computer and the netbook's different keyboards, grin. Over all, I'm
very satisfied with it. I'm looking forward to taking it to my state's
NFB convention next weekend and using the wireless in the hotel. Since
wireless is built in, connecting to a network is a snap, since the
netbook will pretty much go out and detect networks and then tell you
about it in a tool tip that pops up.

Wayne