[gui-talk] netbook recommendation

Ted Shelly tshelly at optonline.net
Mon Oct 19 12:19:11 UTC 2009

I recently got an HP 5101, which has a 10.5 inch screen.  I got the bigger
battery and 2GB RAM.  It came with XP and runs all Windows software.  It is
just a small, somewhat slow laptop without a CD drive and with much longer
battery life.

A weird thing about this machine is that the Fn (function) key works
backwards from the way most laptops work.  The Fn key is to access the
hardware features of the F keys on the top row of the keyboard.  Turning the
volume up and down, For instance.  On most laptops you press the Fn key and
one of the F keys to use these hardware functions.  On the HP, you have to
press the Fn key to use the normal F keys in an application.  For instance,
to close a window with alt-f4 you have to use the 3-key combination of
alt-Fn-f4.  You can switch this behavior in the BIOS setup menu but you will
need sighted help to do this.