[gui-talk] [Bulk] Am I paranoid, or what?gettibng

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Thu Oct 15 03:15:42 UTC 2009

qubie,

The second line is funny, made me laugh. Whose turn is it, etc.

The first line, the friend's old joke, doesn't amuse me too readily. That's
because something about its construction messes with the literal meaning of
paranoia in a way that doesn't really work. Not being snooty when I say
this, but I don't personally, even in jest, use the terms "paranoid" or
"paranoia" in the casual contemporary sense that only means overly worried
or anxious, and about a lot of things, not anything that paranoia really can
be applied to, even jokingly.

the word really used to be employed more meaningfully, even when I was in my
twenties. think Cheech and chong-type humor. it never was used to mean
anything but possibly delusional apprehension of being watched or of being
under attack . So, like, in the Soviet Union during times when the NKVNKVD
or KGB secret police were really feared, a person might say to a friend "I
told this innocent little joke about Stalin's nose at that party when I was
drunk, and now I'm afraid that that tall guy, Dmitri, was KGB or at least a
KGB snitch, and I'm gonna wind up in big trouble with the government." And
the friend says, "Relax, pal. You're just getting paranoid because of all
this KGB activity that's going on, and all the people who are disappearing.
dmitri isn't KGB, not so far as I know, and I think he was just drunk like
everybody else, and laughing for real, not just pretending to laugh. Don't
worry about it."

Or some longhair surrender monkey is tooling down Interstate 5 from San
Francisco to Los Angeles, and he and his passenger are passing a joint back
and forth. Not that I know about any of that stuff, mind you. But I've heard
about it.

it's night, and when he looks into his rear view mirror he thinks he sees a
Highway Patrol pursuit car trailing him half a mile back, but then the
Highway Patrol car isn't there next time he checks the mirror. But meantime,
he's made his passenger not only dump the VW's ashtray out the window into
the wind, but has tossed out every vestige they were carrying of illegal
substances and smoking materials.

he tells the friend later that maybe the cop wasn't really back there. "See,
man," says the friend. "All that good stuff lost, and for nothing. you're
getting so paranoid, man, I think you've got a problem there.."

they don't say another word to each other all the way to Bakersfield and
then up and over the hill called the Grape vine and halfway down into the
San Fernando Valley, when the radio starts pulling in a good L.A. rock
station, and the two loosen up a little bit, finally.

got a little carried away, I'm afraid. But that was fun.