[gui-talk] Can't find Amazon mp3 downloaded album on my hard drive

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sun Oct 11 05:29:12 UTC 2009

For the first time, I purchased a digital album from Amazon today. I had to
download and install the Amazon mp3 Downloader, which I did successfully,
and then I bought the album and I guess it downloaded, though I didn't see
any sort of dialogue on the screen (I'm partial).

Now, before I say more, let me say that before I made this purchase, I went
into the amazon mp3 downloader Preferences and changed two things:

1. I changed the download destination from their default, which is a sub sub
sub directory under Documents and Setting/Admin blah blah blah, to a simple
folder that I'd created on my hard drive, called c:/my music. This isn't the
"my music" folder that I've noticed up above the C drive under My documents,
whatever all that's about. I don't go up there (I use Windows Explorer and
that's why I think of it as "up there") and have no idea what that stuff is.
This is Win XP Home, by the way.

Now, I've gone into my account on Amazon and looked up my recent purchase
history specifically of digital downloads. And there it is, a record of my
having downloeded this album, with all its tracks listed. A fait accomplis,
it would seem.

but no, I can't find the album, its tracks, or the folder Amazon mp3
anywhere on my hard drive, including under c:/my music. Huh? I've looked and
look, using the Search. No luck at all.

BTW, the other item I changed in Preferences was to disable the option of
having the downloader put such files into my Windows Media Player playlist
or library or hwatever that is. I don't know how to use that sort of thing.
I just wanted to find the files themselves in a folder, click on them, and
play them in Winamp.

To anyone for whom the above is clear, can you advise?as I say, the record
at the Amazon site confirms that I've downloaded this material, but I can't
find it on my computer, no way.

Help me before I lose my mind. I mean the rest of my mind. It's only a few
bucks, but I really wanted to listen to the album.

thanks. Hope I made good enough sense here.

Joel