[gui-talk] Mac desktops and laptops

Les Kriegler kriegler at nycap.rr.com
Sun Oct 4 03:07:15 UTC 2009

Hi Joel,

I've spent some time on the Mac Visionaries list and find the group
very helpful.  There are a number of individuals who have used the Mac
for some time and I've found them helpful as I got started.  Yes, I
have a MacBook Pro laptop machine.  I'm very pleased with it, mainly
because of the speed in which it performs.  The Mac's operating system
is very fast and that's the biggest advantage I see thus far.  The
major difference is that the Mac operating system is different than
Windows and there is a fair amount of new learning that must occur.  I
find myself reading and re-reading the VoiceOver documentation and
spending time practicing and learning each day.  For me, it's well
worth the effort.  E-mail has been the quickest app for me to become
comfortable with, the internet is proving my biggest challenge.  OI've
identified the program I will use for Word Processing, iWork which
includes:  Pages, MS Word equivalent, Numbers, equivalent to Excel,
and KeyNote, equivalent to PowerPoint.  MS Office for the Mac is not
compatible with VoiceOver.  There's a lot I can talk about, but it
will get too lengthy if I do.  I am writing this on my Mac.  For me
personally, it's definitely worth the purchase, and the user list gave
me the necessary perspective I needed to undertake this.  In
otherwords, I had a good idea of what to expect and the time I need to
put in to get comfortable with the Mac, and I'm definitely making good
progress.  I also signed up for Mac classes at the Apple store.  For
$99, I get 52 hours of training over the next year, not a bad deal.
We'll see how that goes starting tomorrow.