[gui-talk] A glitch in the righteous posture?(wasReadingRightsCoalition Denounces Random House)

James Pepper b75205 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 04:11:46 UTC 2009

Actually Amazon has a publishing division that makes PDF books and they
offer these books to be published on Kindle as one of the benefits.

The process of making an e-book is a bit complicated, even for a DAISY book
and so this is not a free thing for the publisher to do, it is not placed in
that format as you make the book,  you have to purposely re-edit the entire
book to put it into an accessible format.  This is because print publishing
and electronic format are two different things.

Oh sure we can make simple documents that work in both formats but once you
start typesetting books, the rules get thrown out and you are designing for
print publications.  You can make the book into an electronic version
afterwards but it still requires  a lot of further formatting and that is a
skill that is not only very tedious, most people do not know how to do it,
even if they have been in IT for years.

James Pepper