[gui-talk] Using POP3 for Outgoing Server

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Thu May 14 16:28:55 UTC 2009

I think there's some confusion here. :)

POP3 is, by definition, an inbound protocol.  It does not provide a
means for transmitting outbound mail.  I don't think IMAP provides a
means to transmit outbound mail either.

SMTP is, by definition, an outbound mail protocol, and is only for
sending mail out, though technically there is a way to retrieve mail
with it as well.

There is, though, a sort of protocol called POP-before-SMTP, which is
used to authenticate a person before sending mail.  The plan works
like this:  You log into a server using POP3, download any pending
mail, then use SMTP with the same server to transmit your outgoing
mail.  This plan was used more often before the advent of protocols
that allow direct authentication via SMTP, but POP-before-SMTP is
probably still used some places.

I suspect you are actually talking about POP-before-SMTP, but I'm not
sure.  If you are, you might be able to do what you need just by
specifying your inbound and outbound servers to be the same, using
POP3 for incoming mail and SMTP for outbound mail.  Then just retrieve
mail once before trying to send mail out.

Apologies if I'm seriously confused myself as to what you're trying to
do.