[gui-talk] Switching To Windows EyesSwitching To Window Eyes I Think?

Rick Roderick rickrod at insightbb.com
Mon Mar 9 14:11:40 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

I  have both and use both, and here are my thoughts.

If someone asked me, which is better, I would say, "If you can afford it,
both."

I find the keyboard in JAWS to be more responsive.  I use Eloquence with
both programs.  The sound of the keyboard in Window-eyes is a bit bouncy.  I
have found this with both Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista Home.

Second, JaAWS tends to be  more unstable for me.  I will sometimes be in the
middle of email or surfing the Web, and I get, "JAWS not responding."
However, JAWS doesn't announce that it going to quit responding, and I am
left wondering:  What happened?

I find both programs to work quite well with MS Office and Internet
Explorer.  Window-eyes seems to work better with Mozilla Thunderbird.

I think that in general, Window-eyes works better with unknown programs,
ones that don't have scripts specifically written for them.

Reading takes some time to get used to with Window-eyes.  The program, by
default, reads 25  lines at a time, but one has to push PageDown twice to go
to the next screen.

At this point, I use JAWS more because I am used to it, but I will switch
into Window-eyes after a lockup with JAWS.