[gui-talk] Voiceover

Mike Arrigo n0oxy at charter.net
Sun Jul 26 00:05:15 UTC 2009

Hi. Allow me to answer your question about each type of program. First
the office suite. Microsoft Office is not accessible on the mac,
however there are 2 alternatives. Open Office version 3 for the mac is
accessible with voice over, so is Apple's office suite, i work version
9. Both of these suites will open and save Microsoft Office files. The
word processor that comes with the mac, called text edit, will open
and save Microsoft Word files, even version 2007.
For playing and ripping media, there are several choices. Itunes will
play CDS, as well as rip them to your hard drive. It can also play
streaming media. There are also 2 other players that I know of. Quick
time will play several media types, and there is a plug in you can
install that will allow quick time to play windows media files as well
as windows media streams. Another player worth considering is the vlc
player. This plays windows media as well as .ogg files.
Adobe reader is not needed on the mac, there is a program included
with the mac called preview. This will open pdf files, and you can
start reading right away, no waiting for the document to be prepared
for reading.
For the web, the safari browser works great, and you have access to
much of the same functions such as moving by link heading, etc. There
is also no forms mode to worry about, just move to the control and
start typing, works very well. Let me know if you are concerned about
any other applications.