[gui-talk] Voiceover

Dean Martineau dean at topdotenterprises.com
Sat Jul 25 23:32:25 UTC 2009

The kinds of questions Albert asks are the sort of questions the Federation
staff should have taken on objectivbely, but didn't, and I'll be surprised
if they ever do, because they'll have to admit they actually erred.  The
choice of Mac vs. Windows, and trhen Voice Over vs. any of several windows
screen readers, gets down to learning style, economics,and the functions you
want to perform with the computer.  As I understand it, MS Office is not
accessible but there are alternatives which can work in some situations.
Anything media-related will be at least as good with the Mac and will
probably be supported by Voice Over.  One advantage of Voice Over and the
Mac is that one needs to learn many fewer keystrokes.  One does things,
apparently effectively, in much more the way a sighted computer user will do
them.  For some learners, this is clearly an advantage.  The point is that
somebody who knows both systems well, and probably who likes them both,
should be conducting the analysis.  Such people do exist, and if they don't,
it would be a great function of that Baltimore Center to seriously acquire
the skill.

Dean