[gui-talk] Looking for instructions for understanding Facebooknonvisually

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Wed Jul 22 04:57:28 UTC 2009

Gerald,

Not only is Dave correct about this, but I can provide one more example of
the same thing, which is Amazon. If you know the site, as soon as the home
page opens, Jaws is likely to say something about how, if you're using a
screen reader, you might benefit from clicking on this link and going to
their sort of mirror site. A lot of screen user people appreciate the
simplified site with its low graphics and simplified layout, but Amazon
didn't create that site expressly for the convenience of the blind Amazon
customer any more than they introduced audio to Kindle for the sake of the
blind. I'm not saying this cynically, and I don't think Dave meant it in
that spirit either, or at least not entirely. it's just how it is.

The "Facebook team" is pretty much in the dark about blind computer users. I
wrote them for help because for some reason I kept being asked to get past a
CAPTCHA a few times *after* I'd managed to register (it only took me
something like 20 minutes to find an "audio challenge" I could make any
sense of and type to the system's satisfaction), and that problem was the
crux of my request for help.

They replied with this sort of standardized (or boilerplate, as I meant to
say) stuff about how to register, changed my pass, this and that, and in
order to get going I had to sort of overcome their helpful tampering. Not
once did they mention CAPTCHA technology in their reply. it all has worked
out, so maybe I was never truly logged in and that's why, every time I tried
to friend somebody, I got presented with that damn roadblock. But I don't
think that was it. If it was, they didn't even bother to say so. They just
went right to the registration issue without a reference to what I'd asked
about. Duh. I'm not surprised that no one from the Facebook Team is playing
in the All Star Game this summer. Sorry. Just feeling sarcastic about anyone
who replies to me in writing online without sounding actually responsive to
what I've written to them. That drives me completely nutty. I mean it both
befuddles and offends me.

anyway, so much for the so-called "blind" Facebook site, okay? But it's got
its uses, I can see that.